God made a promise to the late Elder Richard E. Lawrence that he would perform miracles in his life. Elder Lawrence trusted in the Lord with all his heart. When in doubt, he leaned not unto his own understanding, but he listened to the voice of the Lord and remained committed to God's will.
God blessed Eld. Lawrence with a beautiful wife named Mary Marie Dew. Together they parented eleven children. Elder Richard E. Lawrence pastored for over 20 years and his ministry left a legacy in the hearts of his children. In 1959, Elder Lawrence incorporated as an independent church. In 1962, He joined the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World and the late Bishop Benjamin T. Moore ordained Elder Lawrence. After years of temporary church locations, Elder. Lawrence miraculously secured a building formerly owned by the church of Scientology, now called Bethesda Christian Church.
Pastor James Andrew Lawrence is the youngest son of the late District Eld. Richard E. Lawrence. Today, Greater Bethesda Christian Center is an extension of the legacy first prescribed by his father. Combined with the humility of his father and the calling of pastoral leadership, Pastor James Lawrence is continuing the work of the Lord through God's vision, which is to transform society through servant leadership.